If you are interested in volunteering with Capital Caring, the process is easy.
- Apply Online: Complete and submit the Volunteer Application online.
- Complete Required Forms: Once your online application is received, you will get an email with instructions for downloading, completing and mailing in the Confidentiality Statement, Sworn Statement, Substance Abuse Free Workplace Agreement and Consent Form, and the Volunteer Reference Form (2 reference checks are required).
- Interview: Meet with the Volunteer Service Coordinator in the neighborhood where you would like to serve to share your talents, interests and preferences, and to learn more about Capital Caring and the many volunteer opportunities we provide.
- Submit to a Background Check: Due to the intimate nature of our work in the community, background checks are conducted on all paid staff and volunteers.
- Take a TB Test: All paid staff and volunteers who have any contact with patients are required to have an initial, free 2-step test, and yearly 1-step tests after that. Positive testers submit a yearly questionnaire.
- Participate in Orientation: All volunteers and paid staff attend an orientation covering general organizational information and safety training.
- Attend Training: Volunteers receive on-the-job-training from experienced volunteers and/or staff, as well as continuing training several times a year.
Capital Caring prides itself on providing the very highest level of care to each patient. Because of this commitment, all staff and volunteers are screened and evaluated. Standards of conduct apply to all paid and volunteer staff.
Please note our One Year Rule for Patient Care Volunteering
Due to the profound effects of grief, we ask you to wait at least one year after having experienced a loss before becoming a Capital Caring Hospice Services patient volunteer. We have found, based over 35 years of experience that it takes that long to live with one’s own grief before truly being able to help others in similar situations. Having said that, you are welcome to help us in our offices with important administrative support, to join our Facebook community and, of course, to attend our many community events. We would love to hear from you.